Monday, July 9, 2012

First Blog Post: Why I chose to make my own baby food.

Luna & Aeris are my perfectly imperfect daughters.  I can't describe why I love them so much but I can tell you why I have chosen to work hard at teaching them good eating habits from the start.
When you are pregnant you are overwhelmed with things to prepare for and nothing ever really prepares you for having your child until he or she is here and you are right in the middle of everything.  The first choice you have to make right after delivery is nursing or formula.  I'm not here to tell you which is the "right" choice.  What I will say is there are MANY breastfeeding advocates out there and no one will say formula is better for your child than breast milk.  What you choose is what is right for you.  Personally, I did both.  For lots of reason that were right for me at the time.  
So now time goes on and you reach the point when it's time for the next step.  Which is generally between 4 to 6 months (talk to your pediatrician).  You have another choice to make: store bought convenience baby food or home made.  Everyone has their reasons for their decisions but mine was to make my own.  This is my online diary so these are strictly my opinions and thoughts (based on nutritional facts that processed foods are not as healthy as homemade).
This was a complete no brainer for me.  I love to cook so this is fun and easy.  I've also discovered I love making baby food.  It's like a challenge to me.  What can I make?  Different recipes, new foods, how to hide vegetables in fruit, same color foods, and of course the most important is how healthy and delicious can I make it?  It can be really fun.
I came up with a great idea recently to write my first cook book about.... Baby Food! :)
It was so fun.  I'd love to write more, they are a lot of work.  As you can imagine, I have 2 small children that keep me busy among other things. 
I'm going to use this as a place to write more recipes, tips and helpful ideas for baby and toddler food.

No comments:

Post a Comment