Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Recipes: Roasted White Eggplant

On a recent shopping adventure I came across white eggplant.  I like to seek out different food colors.  Orange foods are too common. Your baby's skin will literally turn orange if they eat too much beta-carotene. We'll save that topic for another day.  Moving on, I like to find new foods to keep things exciting, different flavors, nutrients and vitamins.
White eggplant is new to me.  I found out that it's mild and sweet in flavor.  Also, roasting it can bring out it's natural sugars.


Ingredients:
2 medium size white eggplants (you can substitute purple eggplant)
Olive Oil
Sea Salt
White Pepper
Fresh Lemon Thyme (you can use regular thyme and a small amount of lemon zest)
1/4 cup Water or Vegetable Stock

Begin by washing your eggplants then cut off the ends and peel the skin off.  The skin of an eggplant tends to be tough and doesn't puree well.  I then slice 1/2 slices then quarter them.  Drizzle with a small amount of Olive Oil and sprinkle with a tiny pinch of salt and pepper.  Roast in a 400*F oven for about 20 minutes.  It should get a touch of color and be tender.


Then add your cooked eggplant and about 1 Tablespoon of chopped Thyme.  I use Lemon Thyme because that is what's in my garden, it has a lovely scent.  Puree until smooth and if needed add a 1/4 cup of water or vegetable stock to help the puree become velvety smooth.

At this point you can portion it into ice cube trays or 4oz containers and freeze for up to 6 months.  Make sure you label and date all of your foods.  This recipe makes about 3 cups of puree depending on the size of your eggplants.

I tried this on Aeris (my current baby guinea pig) and she approved.

No comments:

Post a Comment